Major Travel Disruptions during the last 5 Days
- Approx 06:48-08:55 - There was a road closure due to a lorry striking a bridge on B1426 Lobley Hill Road between Team Valley & Victoria Road. Delays on Saltwell Road, A184, A1 Northbound & around Team Valley due to diverting traffic.
- Approx 08:15-09:08 - There was a collision between a car & cyclist on A188 Benton Road northbound side of the Dovedale Gardens mini-roundabout in Benton, Newcastle. Delays affected both north & southbound traffic on A188 between A1058 & Four Lane Ends.
- Approx 07.40-10.00, Severe delays on the A167 Central Motorway southbound, queues as far back as A1 via Kenton Lane through from Gateshead due to temporary signals at Gateshead side of Tyne Bridge. The signals had a timing issue which is being looked into. These delays were exacerbated by a broken down vehicle on the Swanhouse Roundabout.
A19 Testo's Roundabout Improvement Consultation
Local residents, businesses and road users are encouraged to join in with a seven week consultation into the £62 million A19 Testos junction improvement scheme.
The consultation begins on Monday 13th October and continues until Friday 28th November.
More information can be found:
Lane Closure - A184 Askew Road Eastbound (A167), Gateshead
The A184 Askew Road A167 junction has now been returned to two lanes however as of Saturday the 8th of November new traffic management will be set out on High Street North & Southbound for the next phase of works involving the placement of high visibility yellow studs in the carriageway to guide road users through the works and as such there will be an increase in traffic initially until road users adjust to the new measures and delays could ensue. Motorists are being advised that delays are likely and being asked to consider using the Redheugh Bridge as an alternative.
Overnight Resurfacing Works Central Station Area - Newcastle
Newcastle City Council will be be resurfacing Neville Street overnight between Westgate Road and Clayton Street West over the next two weeks.
The work will start on Sunday the 23rd of November 2014. Working hours will be 20:00hrs until 06:00hrs Sunday to Thursday lasting four days.
Whilst the works are undertaken several lane closures will need to take place. The diversion route will be signed posted for the resurfacing of Neville Street onto Bewick Street via St James Boulevard.
Clavering Place, Forth Street, Forth Banks, Marlborough Crescent & Westmorland Road.
A1/A19 Fisher Lane Roundabout Pinch Point Scheme @ Seaton Burn
When And Where Is This Happening
Construction started June 2014 and it is estimated to be delivered by January 2015. The works are located at A1/A19 Interchange and the A19 Fisher Lane Roundabout, North of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.
What Works Are Taking Place And What Will It Cost
The A1/A19 Seaton Burn Interchange acts as a bottleneck, causing congestion that has a knock on effect at the Fisher Lane Roundabout. This is resulting in delays and unreliable journey times for road users in this area.
How The Scheme Will Be Carried Out
At The Fisher Lane Roundabout:
- Provide a third lane on the Fisher Lane and A19 approaches to the roundabout, and provide traffic signals on the B1318 approach
- Provide a third lane on the roundabout between the A19 exit arm and the A1 exit arm
- Provide a shared pedestrian / cyclist facility to assist vulnerable road users in crossing the roundabout
- Improve the layout
- Introduce a second lane on the southbound exit slip road approach to signals
- Extend the third lane of the northbound exit slip road
- As part of the Pinch Point Programme, the aims of the scheme are:
- Help to reduce daily congestion
- Reduce journey times for the travelling public
- Boost the economy
- Improve safety
Closure Dates And Times For Resurfacing Works
A167 Cowgate Roundabout Re-configuration, Newcastle
Works will commence in October 2014 on the A167 Cowgate roundabout Newcastle Upon Tyne which will improve traffic flow at the junction for Ponteland Road & Stamfordham Road in and out of Newcastle.
The junction will be signalised and priority lanes will be added for buses to speed up public transport.
The old subway will be removed and street level signalised pedestrian crossings installed along with dedicated cycle routes.
This is a large undertaking and some disruption in inevitable.
There will be public consultation meetings at the following venues,
- KFC, Ponteland , Cowgate. 17th September between 8am & 11am
- Aldi, McKendrick Villas Cowgate. 18th September between 10am & 1pm
- Morrisons, Two Ball Lonnen, Cowgate. 19th September between 10am & 1pm.
For further information follow this link
A167 Tyne Bridge / Oakwellgate Junction Improvements, Gateshead
Update: Temporary Traffic Signals Replace permanent signals
A188 / A189 Major Improvement Works, North Tyneside
North Tyneside Council applied for and won £2.2m from the Department for Transport to carry out major improvement works on the A188/A189 Benton Road corridor.
- A191 / A188 Four Lane Ends Roundabout - Replacing the existing roundabout to a signalised junction
- A188 / Goathland Avenue / West Farm Avenue Roundabout - Replacing the existing roundabout to a signalised junction
- Quorum / Balliol Business Parks Roundabout - Installing traffic signals on the existing roundabout
- A188-A189 Benton Lane / Salters’ Lane Roundabout - Widening & installing traffic signals on the existing roundabout
- A189 next to White House Farm - Install a new signalised roundabout with Pegasus crossing & new bus stops
- A1056-A189 Sandy Lane / Killingworth Way Roundabout - Widening & installing traffic signals on the existing roundabout
- Eastern side of A188 Benton Lane / Goathland Avenue junction to Quorum Business Park - Improved off-road pedestrian and cycle links
Construction is due to start this summer. The works will cause some disruption, however every effort will be made to keep this to a minimum.
Major works in Sunderland & South Tyneside in 2014
Works on seven major schemes to help traffic flows are set to start in 2014 in Sunderland and South Tyneside.
The works will lay the ground for further developments following confirmation of the Sunderland City Deal in Partnership with South Tyneside.
More than £9m has been earmarked for the infrastructure schemes to help traffic entering and exiting the A19 corridor and support economic growth.
The improvements will assist with:
Reducing traffic congestion and improving journey times on key routes
Opening up access to key employment sites within the North East Low Carbon Enterprise Zone and the Nissan plant
The development of a 100 hectare International Advanced Manufacturing Park (IAMP) to the north and west of the Nissan plant as part of the recently announced Sunderland and South Tyneside City Deal.
Other planned works include improvements to Sunderland's pedestrian and cycling infrastructure.
Funding has been made available from Central Government with £5m from the Regional Growth Fund, £4.17m from the Local Pinch Point Fund, plus contributions from Sunderland City Council (£500,000).
The 2014 schemes include:
Updated traffic signalling at the A19 junction with the A690 Durham Road - works carried out by Sunderland City Council
Updated traffic signalling the A19 junction with the A183 Chester Road - works carried out by Sunderland City Council
The Highways Agency is planning works to the A19/A1231 junctions. These comprise:
• Updated traffic signalling
• Widening the eastbound A1231 approach to the A19 to three lanes
Conversion of existing A19 junction with the A1290 to traffic signal control to improve the main north-south access route to Nissan and reduce existing queues of traffic on the A19 – works carried out by South Tyneside Council
(5) A1290/Nissan Access
Updated traffic signalling at the A1290 junction with Washington Road, improving staff and visitor access to the Nissan car manufacturing plant – works carried out by Sunderland City Council
(6) A1290/Cherry Blossom Way
Conversion of existing A1290 junction with Cherry Blossom Way to traffic signal control improving the ease and safe use of access to and from the Nissan distribution depots and other local supply chains - works carried out by Sunderland City Council
Works improving the cycling network and connectivity between Nissan and the residential areas at Washington, Pattinson and North Sunderland. This includes off carriageway cycleways alongside the A1290, linking to Sulgrave Road roundabout and Albany Park, and Pattinson Road – works carried out by Sunderland City Council.
A1 Improvements: Coalhouse Roundabout, Gateshead
Works to be carried out include:
- New part-time traffic signals
- Resurfacing of the A1 slip roads
- Widening the southbound carriageway of Kingsway South between Eleventh Avenue and the roundabout
- Widening to Lamesley Lane at the junction with the roundabout
- Widening of the carriageway to Coalhouse roundabout in the vicinity of Chowdene Bank junction
- Installation of new traffic signs & street lighting
- Renewal of road markings.
When complete, these works will help relieve peak time traffic congestion to and from the Team Valley and reduce accident risk.
- Kingsway South between Eleventh Avenue and Coalhouse Roundabout
- Lamesley Lane near the roundabout
- Partial closure of Coalhouse Roundabout itself
During the time of the works diversions will be clearly signed. The following diversions will be in place:
- A1 Slip Roads – Diversion to Lobley Hill or Eighton Lodge Interchanges as appropriate
- Kingsway South – Diversion via Eastern Avenue, Saltwell Road South and Chowdene Bank
- Lamesley Lane – Diversion via Smithy Lane and Chowdene Bank
A1 Improvements: Coal House-MetroCentre, Gateshead
The Highways Agency is making improvements to the A1 around Gateshead with a target start of works date of 26 August 2014. The scheme is planned to be open to traffic by spring 2016.
For further information regarding these works please contact Lynne Biddles at Highways Agency, Lateral, 8 City Walk, Leeds, LS119AT. Alternatively, call the Highways Agency Information Line on 0300 123 5000, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Further info may be found at http://www.highways.gov.uk/A1CoalHouseMetroCentre
Traffic management for the A1 Coal House to Metro Centre Improvements scheme will include Lane closures Northbound & Southbound which will commence from the 3rd of November through to the 18th of December. All lane closures will commence from 20:00hrs - 06:00hrs (pending traffic count)
Traffic Update as of 14/11/14
An additional full road closure from Lobley Hill junction - Coal House Roundabout will take place on
Tuesday 18th November 2200-0600, and again on
Wednesday 19th november 2200-0600.
Lobley Hill Road / Kingsway Roundabout, Team Valley Trading Estate
Park & Ride
Across Tyne & Wear there is a
variety of Car Park & Ride facilities. At these locations users
can interchange with either bus, cycle, metro, rail or taxi &
avoid queues within city centres or possible full central car parks.
Four Lane Ends
Cycle Parking & Metro
Stadium of Light
Parking & Metro
The key principle of open data is to increase transparency and the sharing of information we hold with the wider community.
Our service provides third party developers with access to a number of datasets sourced from the Tyne and Wear Urban Traffic Management Control (UTMC) system. Developers are then able to build useful applications using the data we have now made freely available.
- Air quality data
- Car Parks
- Journey Times
- Traffic – Accident
- Traffic – Event
- Traffic – Incident
- Traffic – Roadwork
- Weather station data
Other & Minor Disruptions
ROAD CLOSURE Cemetery Approach, S.Shields
Road Closure on Cemetery Approach in South Shields. Major flood alleviation work starts 12/11/14 - 19/12/14 all day.
ROAD CLOSURE Downhill Lane East of the A19
Road Closure on A1290 Down Hill Lane at A19 to allow for Junction improvement works. This closure also restricts access to and from Sunderland Road from the A19 Junction.
ROAD CLOSURE High St West & Crowtree Rd, Sunderland
Road Closure on High Street West & Crowtree Road outside the Londonderry Pub in Sunderland City Ctr from 19/05/14 to 25/12/14 for major highway improvements. Seek an alternative route, expect delays.
TEMPORARY SIGNAL Durham Dr (A194-Coventry Way/Exeter Way), Fellgate
Temporary traffic signals on Durham Drive in Fellgate between A194 & Coventry Way/Exeter Way. Major flood alleviation works starts 06/10/14 - 17/02/14 all day. Local delays likely.